Problem with sound - Ensoniq 5880

Now comes the sound ...
The card is recongnized (lspci) correctly as in the Subject.
I googled type and debian and found that I should use the sb module. I
also added the Sound-core and Sound OSS when it didn't want to install.

Then I found from that same search, that sndconfig could be used. I
installed and ran it. To no avail. It also recognised the card
correctly, but when it came down to playing the sample, it said
"the following error occured playing the sample: OK" (meaning, that no
error was indicated). The same machine runs RH 8 flawlessly, including
sound.

Thanks for any help !

Uwe

--
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows! Who cares?