Re: Help, OSX vs Linux

Quoting Aaron Cimolini <aaroncimolini@yahoo.com>:

> Hey Mike,
>
> Sounds like you are looking for some weight for your
> argument that debian is the best. For some apps yes!
> But in a situation with these macs you may be better
> off getting a mix of OSX servers and some debian boxes
> for the PCs.
Yeah, I was looking for some weight.  :)
I don't want to have mutliple servers in the lan.
The lan only has around at max 100-200 workstations and
for our purposes one server is more than enough. Which box that is
well.. I'm hoping I can push Debain.
Firstly, the server must support the multiplatform world, which OSX and Linux
do nicely. I've played with the OSX and just didn't like it. I'll probably dig
into again and see if it can do what I want it to.

> OS X is not the endallbeall of server OSs but it is a
> huge jump from what OS 9 was. Consider taking a second
> look at it. It may fill your needs perfectly,
> specially with fink  ;-)
I tried this once and I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I will investigate
again. I would hate to see my employer tie its hands with a commercial product
when a Opensource solution works just as well.
I remeber the good ol at ease server, then apple forced everyone to Mac
Manager. Now, they are forcing everyone to go OSX server because you need
seperate Mac Managers with OS 9 clients mixed with OSX Clients. What will
happen in the next few years?
A debian server will support anything today and anything yesterday.
Our workstations have various OS's with various architectures. A dog's
breakfast really.
The apple staff seem to be stuck on this workgroup thing. Its funny, because
the "Windows" staff don't have groups with Win9.x/XP machines and they don't
complain. I guess its all about control.
There are constant little wars going on between the PC and Apple staff, while
the admins are stuck in the middle. Just trying to find a solution to make
everyone happy, but which also makes the most sense to the goals of the company.

Cheers,
Mike