Re: Spamassassin thinking i'm a spammer

on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:16:28AM -0500, W. Paul Mills (Paul-NOT@Mills-USA.com) wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:23:43 +0000, Mark Maas wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I installed the following:
> >
> > Exim 3.35, Amavis, spamassassin, razor and clam-av.
> >
> > Amavis scans incoming and outgoing emails, and therefore also get passed
> > on to Spamassassin for checking as wel.
> >
> > Receently though spamassassin thinks i'm a spammer as well:
> >   Unsolicited bulk email from:
> >      mark@menem.mine.nu
> >   Subject: SPAM [verify@relay05.reunion.com: registration@reunion.com:
> >   vate Your Reunion.com Account Today!!]
> >
> >   According to the 'Received:' trace, the message originated at:
> >      mark
> >
> >   The message WILL BE delivered to:
> >   <submit.yAOJR6Gmoi2NlCug@spam.spamcop.net>
> >
> >   The message has been quarantined as:
> >      /var/lib/amavis/virusmails/spam-9a81e2098af61b2e4a1ce70af22a5fc8-20031003-103400-27759-07.gz
> >
> > Why? Well i've got a exim forward filter file, and when an email comes in
> > with ****SPAM**** in the subject it gets send to spamcop for reporting.
> > That report email is seen by spamassassin as spam as well.
> >
> > How do I tell spamassassin that email originating from local accounts
> > (root, mark, etc) are by default never spam?

> "whitelist_from menem.mine.nu" in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf or
> ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

This will, however, whitelist incoming mail as well.  A common tactic
for spammer is to forge/spoof an address in your own domain.

Wouldn't the right thing to do be having separate (not sure what the
exim4 terminology is) routers/forwarders which handle incoming mail and
outgoing deliveries separately, or possibly with different SA rulesets?

Whitelisting yourself might be another useful trick.

Peace.

    For God so loved the world, that he threatens to torture you forever
    if you make the wrong guess, based on conflicting, ambiguous, and
    unconfirmable data.