Re: can't get off the ground

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 08:34, Jason Housewright wrote:
> I am in dire need of help...again. I have dl the
> netinst image from debian (the official for test). I
> cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to
> recognize my pcmcia ethernet card. I have specified
> boot in the boot parameters, but pcmcia has not been
> turned on. I would really, really appreciate some
> direction here. I can't get any further than the
> "select network card" of the install.  Thanks again.
>

> Jason Housewright

> http://shopping.yahoo.com

Hi Jason,

	am not an expert, but my pcmcia ethernetcard required
the loading of pcmcia modules in the kernel. This is fairly
simple to do, unless you need to compile them in the kernel, in
which case you're in whole new world of trouble/hurt/learning ;-).

is fairly straigth forward: run as root 'lsmod', which shows the
currently loaded mdules. If there are no modules named 'pcmcia_core'
or such, you can start with 'modprobe pcmcia_core' which tries to
load the pcmcia modules. If this succeeds, (check with 'lsmod'),
you can try to load your apropriate network card driver with
'modprobe <drivername>'. Your drivers can be found at
'/lib/modules/<kernel version>/pcmcia'. Work from there.

Sincerely,

Jan.