Creating Custom CDs

Hi,

I'm currently burning a bunch of CD's of Debian for a guy out in the
wops. One of the things he's requested is a bunch of the more up to date
packages like GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice, xine, and so on. Since he's on
28.8k due to line quality issues, updating everything with
apt-get/unstable sources is not really feasible. I've been trying to
assemble a CD, but so far I've either come up with building the
Packages.gz by hand, or just dumping the .deb files into one big
directory on the CD. Surely there is a better way?

Edward