Re: Unstable in the house

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:01:09 -0700, Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 04:19:08AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.  You obviously haven't read the metacity
> > manpage.
>
> Except, of course, that I have... especially the bit that describes
> the--replace option.  A small bit, I admit, but it's there.  I suppose
> it's rather appropriate that a window manager as featureless as
> metacity has as featureless a man page.
>
> The alternatives system is not intended to control what window manager
> Gnome uses.  It's intended to provide a sane and safe default for X to
> use to get a basic environment running.
>
> The fact that metacity registers an alternative for x-window-manager
> is a bonus, not a requirement.  The fact that newbies are told that
> x-window-manager is the way to control what window manager they're
> using is unfortunate.

The GNOME packages in Debian use the x-window-manager alternative for
it's window manager. If your alternative is set to twm, then X will
invoke twm and then run the GNOME core (like taskbars, desktop) on top
of it. If metacity is selected, then X will invoke metacity by default
and run the GNOME core on top of *metacity*.

This is exactly how it's supposed to be done, am I incorrect?

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer		[sl@eskimo.com]
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt 	[sl@moslug.org]