frustration building, please help(was: does debian xfree support my video?)

>===== Original Message From Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> =====
>
>Building Debian packages is relatively straightforward.  Just 'apt-get
>install dpkg-dev'
>
>This will give you all the necessary package building tools.

I did that.  So far, so good.

>Then, as I said before, just untar the upstream source package (the big
>one), move into that directory and untar the Debian branch file.
>Execute dpkg-buildpackage, and off you go.

Ok still, got 'em, untarred 'em.

>If it seems like too much trouble, then just grab the packages I
>indicated in my previous mail by adding the relevant line to your
>/etc/apt/sources.list.  Those packages are by Daniels (I believe he is a
>Debian Developer) and are excellent packages.  They are the same ones I
>run on my machine.

I'll will come back to this in a moment.

>Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
>
>-Roberto

Not only do I need assistance, I need something to break.  Seriously, I
haven't been this mad at a computer in years.  Ok...  here's the story.

When I execute dpkg-buildpackage I get a list of unmet build dependancies.  I
can like with that, so I write down all the names and start using apt-get to
install the needing packages.  That takes care of many of them.  However, I
still have unmet dependencies.

Some of them, such as cpp-3.2 claim to be installed (according to apt-get).
Others, such as debhelper, do not exist.  I tried searching for some of these
packages in the packages section at debian.org.  Some exist as testing (is it
safe to install those?) and some don't exist at all.

Here are my unmet dependencies:
cpp-3.2
po-debconf
debhelper >=4.1.16
libglide3-dev >=2002.04.10-3
libfontconfig1-dev
fontconfig
libxft2-dev
libxrender-dev
libxcursor-dev

Can anyone advise me on these packages??  Please, please, please...

I'm glad my Windoze install is working.  I think I'm going to fire up a game
and kill something.

Thank you in advance for any and all assitance.  Oh, and for those of you just
joining in, I'm trying to build, or install, XFree v4.3.  I have the files to
build it, also the deb files to install it, but I can't upgrade as the
packages are kept back.  I would surmise they require the same dependencies as
I need to build it.

Adrian

P.S.  If my lines are not wrapping I've very sorry.  This is not my normal
email software, it's web based email thru my college, and it has not controls
for txt vs html, nor for line wrapping.  I know how much reading non wrapped
lines stinks.  I hate it also.