Re: Knoppix as a debian cd

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 03:27:37AM -0700, ralph bacolod wrote:
> Hi! I have woody installed in my home computer but i
> want to try a more up to date apps such as newer gnome
> ,kde and 00. Problem is i dont have broadband so
> downloading is out of the question.
> Is it possible to get packages from a knoppix cd? I
> heard its debian based so maybe the packages are
> debs,am i right?

Knoppix is a livecd and I don't believe the apps are "packaged" on the
cd.  I think they are already installed, ready-to-run on the cd itself.
You're better off going with the unstable cds.

Just download an unofficial unstable(sid) cd and use the packages from
that:
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sid/jigdo/

or... you can buy one of those usb hard drives, find a good internet
connection, and mirror the debian unstable tree on that hard drive, then
take it home and use that as your repository.

- Ryan