Re: Debian uptime 497 days

Tom wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 05:11:49PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
hi ya

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Vineet Kumar wrote:

* Kyle Loree (kyle@caisnet.com) [030929 08:58]:
the other system is at 486 days 16 hours 36 minutes, and I expect that it will
do the rollover in another 11 days.
is there anything I can do so that the uptime will be retained?
Why?  Your uptime is the amount of time your machine has been running,
not the output of the uptime command.  Just because you overflow a
32-bit number with it, it doesn't mean your machine is any less stable.
one of my machines has rolled over 2x already ... and still up and running
and survived being moved from one bldg to another bldg in a diff city ( running off ups in the car w/ 12vdc-110vac invertor too )
	- inverters doesnt always work as advertized though

Here's a burning question: does "hibernate" mode in a laptop count?

No world records broken here, but I once kept a W2K laptop going for about 6 months with logout, hibernate, and sheer insansity.

Everytime I think about this thread or any boast about uptime one question comes into my mind:

Are these machines on trusted networks with trusted users, or do people really get lucky and pick or compile a kernel that doesn't have any bugs/exploits found in the next year?

--
Jacob