Re: [OT] Speech Recognition, Linux & Wine

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:55, csj wrote:
> At Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:52:30 -0500,
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > After doing an extensive Google search, and having seen many ques-
> > tions about it in mailing lists and Usenet, I know that native SR
> > for the Linux desktop is not available.
>
> If by native you mean working like a champ, then, I don't think

No, I mean "native Linux binaries".

> there's any native SR in Linux.  But there's (or was) a project
> sf project that has the basics: sphinx.  I tried it out some
> years back (sphinx2), and with my crappy microphone it actually
> managed to recognize some words correctly ;-)
>
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/

Found that, but it's kinda old, and I doing this search for a Joe
Average, for whom S-R is vital.  So, a research project is not
acceptable.

> I haven't tried the newer versions (3 & 4).  Sphinx appears now
> to be supported by Sun, and like everything that Sun does
> nowadays requires the dreaded Java(tm).
>
> > Has anyone tried Windows SR programs (like Dragon Naturally
> > Speaking or ViaVoice) under Wine, CrossOver Office or Win4Lin?
>
> I believe there's a "native" ViaVoice binary-only package for
> Linux.  ViaVoice is after all by IBM.

They stopped selling the Linux version 2 years ago.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"I have created a government of whirled peas..."
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live