Re: [OT] Speech Recognition, Linux & Wine

At Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:52:30 -0500,
Ron Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After doing an extensive Google search, and having seen many ques-
> tions about it in mailing lists and Usenet, I know that native SR
> for the Linux desktop is not available.

If by native you mean working like a champ, then, I don't think
there's any native SR in Linux.  But there's (or was) a project
sf project that has the basics: sphinx.  I tried it out some
years back (sphinx2), and with my crappy microphone it actually
managed to recognize some words correctly ;-)

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/

I haven't tried the newer versions (3 & 4).  Sphinx appears now
to be supported by Sun, and like everything that Sun does
nowadays requires the dreaded Java(tm).

> Has anyone tried Windows SR programs (like Dragon Naturally
> Speaking or ViaVoice) under Wine, CrossOver Office or Win4Lin?

I believe there's a "native" ViaVoice binary-only package for
Linux.  ViaVoice is after all by IBM.