Re: xinerama ideas

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 15:49, Malcolm Ferguson wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
> >I have 2 monitors with each keyboard/mouse [...]
> >
> >But another use is one user with xinerama. [...]
> >What in the world would I use xinerama for? Not having
> >had it, being small-minded, now I can't think of a use
> >of it.
> >

> I use two monitors under Win2K (19in @ 1280x1024x32bpp and 17 in @
> 1024x768x32bpp off a GeForce DDR and Matrox G200).  I *really* like it.
> I couldn't imagine working with one monitor.  Even upgrading to a larger
> screen wouldn't cut it.  I always flipped between windows a lot and this
> saves me from doing this.  It's great if you're comparing two things, or
> want to keep an eye something whilst you work on something else, or if
> you have IM sessions where you're discussing something that's going on
> in another window, or you want a debugger and the app you're debugging
> visible at the same time, etc, etc.  A large screen and a focus follows
> mouse policy goes some way to covering this, but it's really inadequate
> in comparison.
>
> To be honest I haven't had much luck with Xinerama.  First of all, X
> wouldn't run my G200 at the resolution and colour depth I wanted - it
> complained about the adapter not having enough even though Win2K will
> drive it to much higher resolutions.  And, the window placement policies
> seem to really suck.  Win2K assigns one of the monitors as the primary
> and this is where apps will appear the first time.  Xinerma seems to
> apply this to the left-most monitor (presumably it's a continuous
> virtual desktop with 0x0 in the upper left), but that I find really
> irritating and I didn't want to move the smaller monitor to the other
> side of my desk.  Admittedly I didn't spend more than a few hours (a few
> hours too many IMHO) trying to fix it as I don't use Linux on the
> desktop enough to worth worrying about it.  I just wish it worked more
> sensibly or easily out of the box... but that's another story ;)

If you want help with that, what window manager? At list some of them
have a new window placement policy (sawfish + gnome had that last time I
checked them), and also fvwm. You usually should have an option for top
left corner / under mouse / center / free place / absolute position(?)

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il