Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?

Micha Feigin wrote:

I am guessing that the fact that most of these viruses etc. appear on
windows is more due to popularity then security.
The fact that it is also easier and thus every script kidy can patch up
a virus of of a couple of scripts found on the internet probably helps
also.
Linux is just not popular enough yet to entice script kidys and macs are
just to damn hard to program for (at list up to os9, don't know where
osX stands).

That's really not a valid argument. Case in point: Apache. If you take a quick look at Netcraft, Apache (not specifically Linux/Apache, but Apache on all OSes it supports) runs:

Developer	September 2003	Percent	October 2003	Percent	Change
Apache		27836622	64.52	28235972	64.61	0.09
Microsoft	10156289	23.54	10252227	23.46	-0.08
SunONE		1501241		3.48	1528090		3.50	0.02
Zeus		742950		1.72	735179		1.68	-0.04

So Apache runs almost three times the number of sites as IIS does, but IIS sites are cracked something like 3-to-1 compared to Apache (don't quote me on that, but that is what I seem to recall as the correct number and I can't find the reference).

Basically, when security is part of the original design process (as it has been with Apache, BSD, and Linux), it is easy to make a system/application that is by default very secure. OTOH, MS is struggling to maintain reverse compatibility but tighten things up, which decidedly harder than if they had simply started the design with security in mind.

Just my $.02

-Roberto