Re: Help, OSX vs Linux

Dan Anderson wrote:
	On the other hand, like so many distributions designed for those
without a good grasp of computers, OS X probably puts a lot of load on
the machine with superfluous programs.  When I install debian I only
install the kernel modules I want, and only install the packages I want,
thus creating a lean and mean machine.
I will have to agree with that. If you know what you are doing and all your co-admins know what they are doing (if there are any) the extra fluf is just that, fluf. For example, a couple of months ago I transitioned my Lab's email/webserver from RedHat 9 to Debian. The previous admin had tons-o-crap installed, including a full desktop environment, GNOME, KDE, and all the RedHat GUI server management tools. Now, I'm not knocking RedHat, but it is one of those distros that tries to be very "helpful."

Total size with the install of RH9, the MySQL database, and the webconent for the two domains we host: ~4-5 GB

Total size with the install of Woody. the MySQL database, and the webconent for the two domains we host: 890 MB

Now, space is not really a major concern since the hard drive has 40 GB (in base-10) capacity, but is there ever really a legitimate need for a web/email server to run a graphical desktop. I'm sure there are a few, but those are by far the exception.

-Roberto