Re: xinerama ideas

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 00:10, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have 2 monitors with each keyboard/mouse and I use
> them with Backstreet Ruby to have 2 users use the one
> Debian system.
>
> But another use is one user with xinerama. Since I
> usually sit 17 inches off the tube, I find looking at
> the other tube, which is 31 inches away, not easy.
> What in the world would I use xinerama for? Not having
> had it, being small-minded, now I can't think of a use
> of it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Hugo.

Its quite useful for video/graphics editing where you can have one big
high quality monitor for the graphics or video preview and then locate
your tools on a cheep 15" monitor. Try finding a proper location for you
gimp toolbars without them getting in the way over a maximized image.
Can also be useful when programming and you have your main work on the
main monitor but you also want to keep an eye on some other stuff such
as compile state running of to the side and you don't want to keep
switch desktops.
Its not that useful for most people, since you need the desk space and
to actually have something you want more accessible then another
desktop, but not necessarily directly in front of you face. Mostly
depends on work habits.
I know its a mac and not linux, but my brother works in video/graphics
editing, but he has two computers with three monitors all of which are
in full use ...