Re: Updating Woody-Prerelease to Woody

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:15:54AM +0200, Johann-Hartwig Hauschild wrote:
> Zitat von Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:29:08PM +0200, Johann Hartwig Hauschild wrote:
> > > Then I noticed, that the gcc I use apparently is prerelease, but that
> > > I can fix by hand.
> >
> > Debian gcc packages are often technically prereleases (due to the
> > problems of supporting gcc across many architectures).
>
> Technically yes. But the gcc on my Machine has a CVS-Signature as version,
> and it actually says 'Debian Prerelease'.

That's what I mean. Yes, the version in stable says this. No, it's not a
problem. It just means that it's not an exact copy of an upstream
release; the annotation to the version information helps to reduce
confusion in case a bug shows up in the Debian package but not in
upstream and somebody reports the bug to the wrong place.

Cheers,