Re: Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

> From: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
> Date: 2003/10/02 Thu AM 10:58:25 EDT
> To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average
>
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:43:26AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
> > > Thanks for the tips. I consider myself Joe Average. I've run
> > > Mandrake and SuSE - but have had problems getting everything just
> > > right in Debian Woody. I also have a Knoppix CD - so might just try
> > > the Knoppix to hard disk route.
> > >
> > > Is there a FAQ on how to change the /etc/apt/sources.list to
> > > unstable?
> >
> > Don't go directly from stable to unstable!!  Too radical
>
> It's not significantly more radical than stable to testing. I don't
> think there's much benefit in trying to go from stable to unstable via
> testing, especially considering that there are things broken in testing
> that work in unstable for one reason or another (e.g. apt-listchanges).
>
> The concern I'd have would be more whether a self-confessed Joe Average
> should use testing or unstable at all. :)
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]
Well, as Joe Average - maybe unstable would be a little too far. Maybe I might consider testing. I kind of like KDE 3.x, and had tried KDE 2.x in stable. And while my experience (4-5 months Mandrake 9.1, a month or so of SuSE 8.2) is limited, I'd be willing to bet that Debian testing is as stable as some of the other alternatives I've tried.

Is Knoppix based on Debian stable or Debian testing? Or am I looking at acompletely different animal? Running Knoppix I got an entirely different looking desktop than I did installing Woody and selecting a desktop install. And is the Debian Desktop subproject at a point where I could just go there and find an easier to install and tweak package?
Bruce