Re: e1000 cannot bring up intel pro/1000 MT interface

Praveen Kallakuri <prav@cox.net> writes:

> i have a dell precision 360 with an Intel® PRO/1000 MT Gigabit6
> Ethernet LOM. i learned that e1000 is the driver and got it by
> compiling kernel 2.4.22. i inserted aprop entries in
> /etc/network/interfaces and in modutils/ and updated
> modules.conf.

What exactly did you do?

> when i try to bring up the interface, this message
> appears on the console
>
> e1000: eth0 NIC Link is up 100Mbps full duplex
>
> without any obvious error message. but when i check ifconfig, i get
> all the lines in a standard interface display except the line with the
> IP address and mask. route is empty

That sounds consistent with the state where you've installed a kernel
driver for a network interface, but not explicitly assigned an IP
address to it.  Seeing the relevant fragment from
/etc/network/interfaces would be helpful, I think.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell