re: Whinging Poms.

/quote; It also seems that the apple in the garden of Eden might 'in fact'
have
been a pomegranate, in which case it does go back rather a long way. I
accept your point though; this doesn't prove they were widely known in
this part of the world. I've spent a few minutes on google and can find
no support for the anti-scurvy theory, except that the fruit provide
lots of water and are nutricious./unquote

The  apple was never mentioned in the theological writings.
The reference is always towards eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge.
The apple makes its' first appearance in Miltons' 'Paradise Lost'.
The Pomegranite makes its' first appearance in Persia, modern day Iran.

Regards,

David.