Re: XFree86 Version 4.3.0 Configuration- No DFP detected

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:47:25 +0900,
Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20030902044725.GA4559@bmail.kek.jp>:

> Hi,
>

>    firstly, please don't post such huge log files to the list unless
> asked.
>
> * Punit Ahluwalia <punit@gsu.edu> [030902 13:14]:
> > I upgraded to kernel 2.4.20 and to Xfree86-4.3.0 When I startx I get
> > blank screen for a while and the system returns to console with two
> > errors:
> > 1. No DFP detected
> > 2. No core pointer
>
> Ok, X could not find your mouse. There seems to be no /dev/psaux.

...nor /dev/gpmdata

..using /dev/gpmdata saves having to restart X on replacing the
rodents, and allows taking the rodent out of the diagnosis circuit,
giving one more diagnosis-n-fix route; does gpm work for you?

> Before we start to try and debug this, it would be best to know how
> you got your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Have you tried creating a new
> one with the following?
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86
>
> Nick.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: