Re: Unfortunate Dummy.

On 02 Sep 2003 01:43:25 +0800 David Palmer wrote:
> The swap file is absolutely necessary.
> This is the space on the disc where operating transactions take place.
> Without a swap file, you don't have a system.

Bollocks.

Last I looked, swap space (file or partition) is a way to extend virtual
memory by grabbing some disk space for the effect, and is thus completely
optional. Your system may handle heavier applications simultaneously if
you give it some swap space, but as long as you have a decent amount of
RAM the system will run perfectly without it.

Actually, if a system *needs* swap space to work correctly, you're
probably due for a RAM upgrade.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/