Help needed with getting USB working on a new install

Hi all:
I have just completed a Knoppix install using the 3.2 version dated 2003-07-26
EN. My hardware is a MSI KT3 ULTRA2 MBO with a AMD Athalon XP cpu. I booted
the Knoppix cd with only the lang=us 2 option set. From there I did a hard
disk install. I then rebooted and ran apt-get update/upgrade. I then
rebooted. I then found that my USB hardware was not detected and installed. I
have a Epson model 640u scanner and a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 usb webcam
installed. Both items work under Linux and are supported. I have added the
nopic and nospm option to my lilo append line. But still no joy. The only
modules that show as loaded in the usb-uchi and usbcore. I did not see v4l
and pwl that are needed for the webcam. Can anyone help me get the two usb
items to work? I had thought of building a new kernel, but debian seems to
need a few more than the normal download the kernel and do the usual things,
any way I have only built a kernel 4 times in the past tries 1 to 3 did not
work right. I was wondering if I could just install a new standard kernel and
get it to work that way? Or are there other options? I am new to debian and
so feel lost. All help greatfull
appricated.

Ralph