RE: Mailserver suggestions?

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:40:08 +0200, Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:

> What I want to do is:
>
> Collecting e-mails from the domains burger-harmonie.com,
> computerdokter-groenlo.nl
> and bellebloazers-eibergen.nl on my debian box. From my workstations I want
> to read
> them in microsoft outlook, doesn't matter wich protocol is used internal
> (pop, smtp,
> imap).
>
> From my outlook clients I also want to be able to send mails from all of
> this domains.
>
> So here's the situation:
>

>                 Server, router, firewall
> 				 _____
> 				|    	|
> 				|	|
> 			>>>>>>|_____|<<<<<<
> 		    >		   | 		  <
> 		  >		   |	          <
> 	 _____>		 _____		<_____
> 	|	|		|	|		|	|
> 	|	|		|	|		|	|
> 	|_____|		|_____|		|_____|
>
>        Client		Client		Client
>

> The server is going to run the server.

You can use fetchmail to get emails from any POP3/IMAP server. Then you
might need procmail. As an IMAP server I'd recommend uw-imapd. If several
clients have to access the same Mailbox, you can't use POP3. If you need a
POP3 server, you should install ipopd. As you use micro$oft outlook, you
should also install a virus scanner (e.g. amavis)

PS: It is quite insecure to run an email server and a firewall on the same
machine. If both has to run on the same physical machine, you can use
either UML or vserver to create secure jails for the email server. If any
cracker manages to get access to your email server, he still can't stop
the firewall on the main system.