Re: kernel 2.6.0-test2 and mii-tool

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:14:41 +0200
Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> wrote:

> Hello Francois!
>
> On Tuesday 05 August 2003 14:40, François Chenais wrote:
>
> > I just have built kernel 2.6.0-test2 from kernel.org sources but I
> > have a problem using mii-tool and alsamixer.
> >
> >    mii-tool says
> >       SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
>
> According to
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.2/0119.html
> it is a problem with Debian's mii-tool, try to get a cvs version
> (sorry, don't know where, possibly somewhere at
> http://scyld.com/page/support/network/).

This is the real problem. The net-tools sources seem unchanged since version 1.60 (2001). can I use apt-get source un build from net-tools_1.60.orig.tar.gz ? Isn't this problem be solved in the debian net-tools package ?

With this new kernel, is it necessary/mandatory to change /usr/include/linux/* files ? if yes, how ?

> >    alsamixer says
> >
> >       alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such
> >       file or directory
>
> Hmm, are you sure you loaded all the necessary modules for your
> particular card?
> Perhaps better doublecheck...

Seems good, I have selected

   Sound card support             [Y]