Re: Debian Can't See All of Large Disks?

on Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:44:12PM -0700, Mike Hunt (mullethead892@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had recently tried to install Debian on a computer containing a 200
> GB harddrive. However, during cfdisking of the Debian install process
> cfdisk fails to see past approximately 130 GB of hard disk space. I'm
> suspecting this is because it is an old version of cfdisk (later
> versions of cfdisk seem to see the whole drive). So, does anyone here
> know how to work around this problem so I can use all of my hard disk
> space with Debian? Thanks for your help!

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

See the Large Disk HOWTO.  There's a history of successivly larger disk
sizes which require different mechanisms for handling what was initially
a 528 MiB limit for HD sizes.

For disks beyond 137 GiB, the HOWTO doesn't provide specific guidance,
though a good overview is here, in general, you want 2.4.18 or better
kernels:

    http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/maxtor-160.html

Peace.

   Verio webhosting?  Guaranteed downtime: