Re: Permissions denied when enabling DMA

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:46:11AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I don't understand the objection to hdparm. Configuration help for the
> kernel (2.4.21) says:

<sigh> I don't object to the use of hdparm.  I object to people that use it
without bothering to find out why the kernel didn't do whatever they think
it should have done on its own.

Why didn't DMA get enabled by default?  That should be the *first*
question, not "oh, gee, no DMA, let's go stomp on settings with hdparm."

--
 Marc Wilson |     MERYL STREEP is my obstetrician!
 msw@cox.net |