Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:53:39PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:17:05 +0200
> David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> > Friendly configured, in my point of view, means that mailing lists are
> > whitelisted. Or do you mean that you really send mail to 3 'new' persons
> > a day? Or do you send bulk email? I guess I misunderstand you...
>
>     3 new unique addresses a day is the average.  Obviously sometimes it is
> less, sometimes it is more.  I join lists very rarely.  You'll note the To:
> field above does not change.  That list was obtained by grepping over my
> archives for the past ~5 years for the To: field, sorting the resulting list,
> running uniq against it and then shoving it through wc.  So this entire
> conversation on devian-user is 1 unique address.

Then you send a _lot_ of e-mails. I can see C-R to be annoying for you.

> > Good point. However, if a MUA respects the In-Reply-To header this
> > should be no problem. You can whitelist based on that too, I guess...
>
>     How?  That provides another hole for the spammer to get through.  Unless
> you're going to keep a database of all the message IDs you've sent out.  For
> some people that can get pretty big pretty fast:
> {grey@teleute:~/Mail-sh/archives} find . | wc -l
>   21557

Maybe keep them for a month? No, I see the problems with this...

> > Well, I am led to believe that most spam doesn't have a valid reply
> > address. So no scripting can help a spammer, unless he wants to deal
> > with his ISP. But, I _do_ wonder what a C-R system would do to those
> > 'urgent business proposal' spam. Are there valid addresses behind those?
> > Otherwise I _really_ don't see the point of this spam.
>
>     As I pointed out there are static, well known spammers.  I listed two that
> have been hitting my machine regulardly for days now.  I can add another:
> jhogulhr.com

Yes, but would they actually _reply_ to a challenge? In John's case, it
is a PITA, since _he_ would receive the challenges, not the spammer.

> > By sending an e-mail, you automatically whitelist the To: addresses.
>
>     How?  Oh, right, I have to take that address, go into the configurations
> and add it manually.  No, thanks, that inconveniences me more than the current
> system does now with little to no benefit.

No, of course not. You can configure your C-R system any way you like
it. For example, from every mail you send the To: address will be
stripped and added if it's not in the whitelist. But you can configure
it any other way. For example, add (simple) commands in the subject line
which will be stripped from the outgoing message.

> > Then I'm lucky. I send e-mails, and sometimes quite a lot, but only to
> > people that I know. Sometimes to new people, but I could deal with that.
> > But if you are unlucky, I see how C-R can be annoying.
>
>     It is not a matter of luck, it is a matter of courtesy.

I see that now.

David