Re: clueless autoresponders (was: Kicking users)

on Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:36:50AM -0600, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Aaron wrote:
> > > I got a message from the Trend SMEX Content Filter that said the
> > > message had been archived due to "sensitive content," but it hadn't
> >
> > That "content filter" is run on the way to one of the recipients of this
> > list, not on the way into the list itself.
>
> Yes.  I got that message too because of my quoted reply.  I checked
> the offending mail server and it was an exchange server, surprise,
> surprise.  I sent a nice and polite message to the postmaster at that
> site explaining why autoresponding is a bad thing.  Maybe if enough
> people do that they will get a clue and turn the autoresponder off.

I add all such autoresponder addresses (another list I'm on is
absolutely polluted with spam, content-filter, and vacation bots), to my
spamlist address trap.  Procmail deals with these as it sees fit.
Including autopost to abuse@ and postmaster@ sending domain.

Peace.

    Don't suspect your friends -- turn them in!
    -- "Brazil"