Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 21:06:22 +0200
David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> I know that, :-) However, Steve was telling how much time he invested in
> manually downloading and checking keys because of problems. I was
> responding to that.

    Of course I am going to take a few steps.  I have a vested interest in
communicating with Manoj.  Erm, sorry Manoj, I've never gotten a personal
pronoun to fit so here goes with a he.  If I'm wrong I apologize now.  He's
consistently been helpful on this list with Debian and while I have never
personally had a reply from him on any of my problems his messages have always
been informative to read.  He's one of the names I've picked out of the crowd
to listen to when it comes to matters Debian and Linux because I know from
past experience he's done his homework.  As such me having a key which results
in a bad signature from him causes me some concern because I want that portion
of the mechanism to work seamlessly.  Not only for my own edification but for
others, as well.

   On the other hand if it were Alan's PGP key (if he ever had the sense to
sign anything) I'd just delete it without comment because he has proven
himself a pig-headed ignorant fool time and again here and in Devel over the
past week.  I don't have a vested interest in communicating with him at all.

   However that vested interest doesn't spill into having to jump through C-R
hoops to tell Manoj that something is wrong with that signature.  I'm willing
to manually verify the keys I have against the keys listed in his signature
because I don't want to fire off a message to him and waste his time replying
"Well, are you using the correct keys?"  That would be rude of me to not have
double-checked my end before sending it to him.  By the same token it would be
rude of him to turn away someone who is informing him of a potential problem
in either his configuration or the keys that are currently present on the
publicly available keyservers.  I've already gone through the effort of
verifying it wasn't my end, why should I then have to go through the added
effort of verifying I am who I say I am when I am doing something out of
courtesy.  A *lot* of the email I send out is of that nature and it piles up
right fast.  No thanks.  It is not worth it.