Re: xv compilation

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:43:28 -0700
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:38:44PM -0700, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten xv-3.10a to compile successfully under debian,
> > with all patches applied?
>
> Of course.
>
> > I'm having trouble getting PNG support compiled in.
>
> Why?  All the necessary patches are on the web site.
>
> > Everything compiles okay, but I cannot find where to "add" the zlib
> > & libpng path(s) to the "Makefile" to get them linked, so png
> > support is not compiled in.
>
> Why do you have to add anything?  You use the patches available from
> the web site.  It builds fine against either libping10-0 or
> libping12-0.
>
> If I were you, I'd find myself an old copy of the original Debian
> source package.  It wants fixing, as the last one didn't work
> correctly, but it has more than a few patches the web site does not,
> some security-related.
>
> That's what I've done... I'm maintaining it locally for my own uses
> and have (a) repaired the build system, (b) patched the hell out of it
> (although I still can't get the EXIF patch I found to apply properly)

I found my problem. I was using the docs I gleaned for Redhat, and I was
missing a step in the PNG README file.

This morning, when I looked at it with a fresh set of eyes, I found my
mistake, and it compiled perfectly.

Being tired, and "knowing" what I was reading was the culprit.

Thanks.

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@pe.net>	Registered Linux User #96112
ICQ#:     AIM#:       YAHOO: