how to quota on ext3, kernel 2.4

hello list,

there seems to be a confusing variety of quota versions and mechanisms on linux. i have now installed some quota related packages and read about any manpage i have found on this. the tutorials i found on the net relate to kernel versions of 1.3.anything - that seems a little out-of-date.

now what do i have to do to get user quota on my ext3 filesystem working? i have a standard installation of debian 3.0r1-stable with the kernel 2.4 i could select at setup time. i have one single partition with ext2 that i converted to ext3 (added the journal) yesterday. some websites say i must check if the kernel has quota support turned on, or compiled in. how do i do this? i only know 'modconf' to change anything in the kernel, but that's for modules only. is quota support already compiled into that kernel? and then is it even activated?

some manpages and tutorials mention the /aquota.user file and some the /quota.user file. another one says that comes from different quota versions... what about that again? and which one is better/newer?

i'm also afraid i need to unmount the filesystem i want to enable quota for. but that won't work for a single-partition system, does it? in my local vmware (under winxp) system, i could just mount the drive from another virtual pc, but i don't have this option with my dedicated server later then.

many questions for now, i hope i'll understand all those things one day...

-yves