Re: more install problems

Richard Lyons wrote:

Probably the latter. Now I am beginning to understand. This is the top of the file /* rtl8139.c: A RealTek RTL8129/8139 Fast Ethernet driver for Linux. */
/*
	Written 1997-2000 by Donald Becker.
/* Version 1.11 is originally written by Donald Becker.
Version 1.11a is modified by Clifford Chiang, wrchiang@realtek.com.tw,
   with Link Down Power Saving   */

It is the version distributed by the card maker on a floppy with the card. Looks out of date. No changelog on the disk.

Is the card actually a pcmcia card (I understood it was) or is it built-in to the thinkpad?

Can you run "cardctl ident" and send the output. For comparison, this is what I get from my laptop:

ndu# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
product info: "3Com Corporation", "3C562D/3C563D", "EtherLink III", "LAN+Modem PC Card"
  manfid: 0x0101, 0x0562
  function: 6 (network)

b) Find out where the rtl8139.c on your floppy disk came from.  If
it is patched or modified by the manufacturer, try to find if they
have a newer version.

The latest version on the realtek.com.tw site seems to be:

 Linux driver for kernel 2.4.x (RedHat 7.2 ) ver.1.60 2003/06/16

I tried to compile that, without success. At the risk of boring everyone I attach below the session to show what happened.

Unfortunately that shows that it is basically the same driver (8139too) as is built into the bf2.4 kernel already.