Re: Printing

Jianan Huang wrote:
Hi folks,

When I want to do my first printing, I discovered that 'lpr' is not recognised. So I do a 'apt-get install lpr'. Then I do a 'lpr <filename>' to try my luck. Only one line was printed at the top of the paper. The documentation mentioned that 'printcap' holds the database for printers. Looking through 'printcap', its only a short script.

How do I get the driver (or any other necessary software), to starting with my HP deskjet?

I haven't used it but there's a package called "printtool" which is supposed to help you configure.

magicfilter is another possibility -- that's what I used but I can't remember if I did my original setup with magicfilterconfig or manually

BTW, /etc/printcap does not need to be very long -- mine is:

lp|hpdj670c|HP DeskJet 670C:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj670c:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj690c-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

But I don't use it any more because I switched to CUPS. That has a web configuration front-end.

apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd
and
apt-get install cupsys-driver-gimpprint
which has graphics drivers for photo printing

then http://localhost:631/ to configure

--
Andrew