Re: Linux firewall vs Windows and Hardware based firewalls

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:30:27AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:03:23AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >     Oddly enough I'd argue that those are wasted on a router.  :)
>
> My current router is a Debian Sid box on an old HP Spectra 486.  It
> handles DNS for my internal network as well.  Optimally, I'd have
> squid with adzapper here so I could just make it a transparent proxy
> easily, but that box just doesn't have the oomph to do it all.  My
> next one will have more power, so I'll be able to have a transparent
> adzapping squid there as well.

Interesting. I've just gone the other way - moved the router onto an
entirely separate box, on the principle of keeping the router as
stripped down as possible, and left the adzapping squid where it was.
In order to make it work, I didn't have to touch anything in squid's
own config, just put appropriate gateway entries in the machines'
/etc/network/interfaces and proxy entries in my browser's proxy config.
It does seem a little slower though, which makes me wonder if I've
missed something.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons