Re: Debian installation by newbie

Shashank Bhide wrote:

  Hi,
I made the required floppy disks....rescue/root/drivers etc.; However, when I boot using the rescue disk, the screen reads something like this.
Unkown keyword in syslinux.cfg. (several times),
Then,
and then it just reboots.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Shashank

Hopefully you got the right disks. For i386, go to http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-downloading-files and then scroll down to Section 4.2.3. In most cases, you probably want: |.../current/images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin <http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/idepci/rescue.bin>
as your rescue disk, and
||.../current/images-1.44/root.bin <http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/root.bin>|
as your root disk.

If you create the floppies from DOS/Win, you'll need to use "rawrite2.exe" to write these images to your floppies. If from *nix, you use the "dd" command.

Assuming you've done this, and you're getting the error above, I'd recreate teh rescue floppy using another floppy. If the floppy isn't absolutely perfect, you'll run into problems.

--
Kent