scanner problem w/ xsane (2)

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a USB scanner, which is the Acer
3300 USB.
The first time I ran xsane there was no problem but
now the scanner won't work. I found I need a firmware
file and I installed it (it was under another name
than I thought at first sorry about the last post)

I attached the /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf file which I
needed to change, but now xsane says,

no devices available

Before the changes to /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf the
scanner was found but now, I get,

-----
 sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something
different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI
adapter.

found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
device /dev/usbscanner
  # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not
be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's
manpage.
  # `UNKNOWN vendor and product' means that there
seems to be a scanner at this
  # device file but the vendor and product ids
couldn't be identified.
  # Currently identification only works with Linux
versions >= 2.4.8. You may
  # need to configure your backend manually, see the
backend's manpage.

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other
proprietary ports can't be
  # detected by this program.

-----

scanimage -L
-----
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting
something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read
the documentation
-----

What is wrong - and how should I start to fix it ?

Joris Huizer