Re: How to force a module to load at boot

Rich B <deblists@osg.saic.com> writes:

> This has to be an easy one, but I'm lost.  I don't know the correct
> way to force a kernel module to load at boot.

Add it to /etc/modules...

> I got a new PCMCIA network card for my laptop. The old one loaded the
> correct module automagically, but the new one doesn't. I have to eject
> the card and re-insert it before  the xircom_cb loads.

...but I want to say that PCMCIA drivers are "special", and you can't
just load a module for a PCMCIA card and have it work.  You might look
at the PCMCIA configuration files; one of them gives a mapping of
PCMCIA card IDs to module names.  (Though if the right module gets
loaded the *second* time, something weirder is going on...)

> I've looked at /etc/modules.conf, but can't figure it out.

Documented in modules.conf(5), but on Debian, you want to create or
edit a file in /etc/modutils and then rerun update-modules(8).

	-- Abra Mitchell