upgrade turned off lpd?

Earlier today, I could print.  Then I did an apt-get upgrade in
testing, and I couldn't.  lpq showed my jobs queued and gave
Warning: no daemon present.

When I did /etc/init.d/lpd start, out they came, and everything was
fine.

Because of the time, I suspect somehow the upgrade did it, but none of
the packages look as if they should have had any effect.  Here's the
list of packages upgraded:
  checksecurity evms evms-cli evms-gui evms-ncurses findutils htdig htdig-doc java-common kernel-patch-evms lesstif-dev lesstif1 lesstif2
  libcppopt-dev libcppopt0 libevms-2.0 libevms-dev libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libkpathsea3 lilo lilo-doc modutils net-tools netplan plan
  pump qt3-doc rep rep-doc rsh-client strace svgalibg1 tetex-base
  tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-extra xcdroast zope-book

The most suspicious are the gnome libraries (my initial print failure
was from gnumeric, but I also got it using lpr) and net-tools, just
because it has a network feel (it doesn't seem to have any postinst
type scripts).

I am posting this mostly to see if anyone else notices the problem.
It's not well enough defined to file a bug.  The good news is that
it's easy to fix.

I also see this in my system logs:
Jul 31 16:36:59 wheat kernel: lp0 off-line

Hmm.. this tends to get the upgrade off the hook, since it started
after that.  But I'm not sure what the connection is between that
message and the daemon.