Re: Jigdo & Memory Usage

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:12:29PM +0200, Rene Tschirley wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I tried to create the Debian Binary i386 Sarge DVD Distribution using
> jigdo (on i386 platform with new sarge and jigdo-file_0.6.9-2) but
> failed. Doing a 'jigdo-lite -h' I get this message:
>
>         Jigsaw Download "lite"
>         Copyright 2001-2003 by Richard Atterer <jigdo@atterer.net>
>
> and can watch the memory load go right through the ceiling. Grabbing
> somewhat more than 1 GB of memory and other processes refusing to
> contribute more mem, phys. mem as well as swap space is a little tight
> and I get the notice:
>
>         Killed
>
> After that, it seems as if another thread runs and grabs all free memory
> as well until it gets killed too. A third thread starts and creates the
> message:
>
>         Getting mirror information from /etc/apt/sources.list
>         /usr/bin/jigdo-lite: 714: Out of space
>
> Does anyone have any idea before I start to read the jigdo script
> line-by-line? I got the .jigdo and .template files from ftp.fsn.hu and
> here's my sources.list:
>
>   deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
>   deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
>   deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
>   deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian testing main non-free
>   deb http://security.debian.org sarge/updates main contrib non-free
>   deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main
>
> Any advice?

I don't actually know what the problem is, but I'd certainly file a bug
if you haven't solved it by now.

An alternative for installing (which saves even more traffic for
everyone) is to use a netinst image: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/.
I've used Blade's with great success.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?