Re: cdrdao / ide-scsi problem

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:24:36PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:32:43AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> > I'm no expert really, and maybe there is some other permissions problem going
> > on, but I observe that with a default Debian Woody install that cdrecord is
> > setuid. Afaik that is because it needs to lock some memory when it starts.
>
> I have to wonder why cdrecord, xcdroast, etc that depend on suid to
> work properly aren't set that way by default in sid.

cdrecord asks the following debconf question:

Template: cdrecord/SUID_bit
Type: boolean
Default: false
 You have the option of installing cdrecord with the SUID bit set.
 .
 If you make cdrecord SUID, you can allow users in the "cdrom" group to
 burn CD-ROMs without needing any additional privileges.  This could,
 however, potentially allow cdrecord to be used during a security attack on
 your computer.  If in doubt, I suggest you install it without SUID. If you
 later change your mind, you can run: dpkg-reconfigure cdrecord.