Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:14, csj wrote:

> What mirror did you use?

There is a list of rsync, ftp, http mirrors at the bottom of this link:
       http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html#order

> I suppose you can't effectively rsync two
> different iso images (say from version 3.1 to 3.2).

I think you'd have to be lucky, the correction is done by comparing md4sums
on segments of the source and destination. So if the only change in 3.2 was
to add 1 byte at the front, I guess that the entire ball of wax would be
downloaded.

Just to be perverse, I will try it over the next week. I will start by
renaming the 3.1 to 3.2, but I will use the -n option of rsync, according to
the man page it figures out what it would do and tells me instead of doing it.

> My problem is that I
> can't find a mirror where the ISO image stays put for at least two
> weeks. Take for example planetmirror.com. I was merrily downloading
> KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-21b-EN.iso (165 MB) when the available version was
> upgraded to KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-28-EN.iso.

Frustrating!

> Can I use the 165 MB of
> KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-21b-EN.iso I already downloaded as the
> resuming point for downloading KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-28-EN.iso?

My best guess is try to ftp from a decent mirror and start again. I'm on line
for 8/24 and I was getting close to 100meg per shift except for one bad
night. Then rsync it if the md5 fails after it's complete.

Bob