Re: mount & umount as ordinary user

Once upon a time Lukas Ruf said...
> * Lukas Ruf <ruf@rawip.org> [2003-04-02 18:33]:
> > * Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> [2003-04-02 18:28]:

> > > What error do you get when you try to umount those points?
> >
> > umount: only root can unmount komsys-pc-bern:/home/ruf from /home/ruf/Ruf
> >

> Has anyone experienced the same problem with mount/umount?

I get the same problem, but it's wierder than it seems.

If I mount a smbfs or nfs filesystem with the user option, as an ordinary
user, I cannot umount the filesystem. I get the same error you get.

If I mount a fat filesystem (from a USB memory device) that also has the
user option, as an ordinary user, I *can* umount the filesystem.

My /etc/mtab is a file, not a symlink.

BTW. You could try "mount -o remount ..." to rebuild your /etc/mtab
without restarting your machine. I dont know if it will work - just a
thought.