Re: login as root to GUI

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:19:02AM +0200, Yaron wrote:
> Since I rebooted my machine in the 1st time I can't login as root
> through the gui login screen.

Don't do that. Running X as root - or, indeed, running more as root than
you have to in general - is bad security practice. You should run as an
ordinary user instead and use sudo or similar to become root when you
need to.

(There are probably ways to let you log into X as root, but I would
strongly advise against using them.)

> If I login as 'normal' user it's ok, and than I can use su and switch
> to root, but no matter what I tried, I can't login to the machine as
> root. (tried to delete all other users and leave only root account -
> couldn't login AT ALL had to re-install...not funny at all)

You could have used Alt-F1 to switch to a virtual console and logged in
there.

Cheers,