From: <castf@shaw.ca>
To: "Yaron" <shnur@ee.bgu.ac.il>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:50 AM
Subject: Re: login as root to GUI

> Hello:
>
> Being a newbie I had the same problem that you had I couldnt log onto X
with the root account. This is actually meant to be that way. The reason
being is that if you want to do any system administration you should log in
with a regular account and use the "SU" command as you mentioned below that
you had done that.

> When you find yourself at the Windows X log on screen and only have the
root account created, you can switch to the command line by using "ALT-F7" I
think, if that is not the right command then read the man pages and it
should be there. Once in the command line, you are allowed to log in as root
(Although still not recommended) and you can create a user account. I hope
that helps!