Re: cdrdao / ide-scsi problem

> > > I think you might need to setuid cdrdao
> > >
> > > hth
> > > Bob
> >
> > If there is any other way, I'd rather not do that, :-)
>
> I'm no expert really, and maybe there is some other permissions problem going
> on, but I observe that with a default Debian Woody install that cdrecord is
> setuid. Afaik that is because it needs to lock some memory when it starts.
>
> I'm guessing that cdrdao might have the same need.
>
> There are of course very serious objections to setuid on a script but a
> compiled program is a different matter.
>
> Why not try it? You can always remove the flag immediately afterward.
>
> Bob

Well, you are right, so I tried, :-). It works, so there is reason to be
glad. However, I'm still wondering how paranoid I must be to still want
cdrdao to run without setuid. Furthermore, without setuid and with group
permissions or something like that I should be able to control which users
may use the writer and which may not. So I will use this until I find
something better...
Thanks for the help,

David