ifconfig > : error fetching interface information: Device not found

Hello,

Since updateing my kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 on an AlphaStation i have problems by running ifconfig. The following message appears by ifconfig > : error fetching interface information: no device found

I have two ethernet cards installed, the dec onboard card and one Realtek 8139, both work well, ifconfig eth0(eth1) displays the typical messages, same to lo. By ifconfig ppp0 > ppp0: error fetching….

I hope you can tell me, what’s wrong, I have no ideas anymore.

Bye

Michael.