Re: XDM, Gnome 2.2 normal user startup

On 31.3.2003 20:13 Uhr, "Mario Vukelic" <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> Ok
>
>>> 2.) If you use Gnome anyway, you are probably better off with gdm
>>> instead of xdm
>> Why is that?
>
> I find it prettier and easier to configure. Since you use gnome anyway,
> its dependence on gnome libraries doesn't matter.
XDM seems to work better for me.

>> SESSION_MANAGER=local/dell:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1241
>> No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
>> library is not correctly configured. You may need to
>> edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
>> about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
>> page and on http://fontconfig.org
>
> You can try to reinstall fontconfig 'apt-get --reinstalll install
> fontconfig libfontconfig1'. If this doesn' help, you can run fc-cache as
> root.
Done this, did not help. Now when I start from console I get:

ywesee@dell:/$ startx
hostname 2.08

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

> If neither helps: Can you start x other window managers than gnome as
> user?
I do not have any other Xwindow managers installed.

Thanks for you help and time.

Zeno