Re: /etc/modutils/arch/i386

Quoting matt zagrabelny <z@saturnsys.com>:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 00:43, Martin Kacerovsky wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:47:23PM -0600, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> > > i commented out the "alias char-major-10-135 rtc" line in
> > > /etc/modutils/arch/i386 by the following:
> > >
> > > #alias char-major-10-135 rtc
> > >
> > > then run update-modules, however on reboot i still get
> > > the error message about loading the char-major-10-135 module.
> > > but when i do the following:
> > >
> > > alias char-major-10-135 off
> > >
> > > then run update-modules and reboot the error message goes away.
> > >
> > > can someone explain this (in detail) please.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > -matt
> >
> > RTC it's used during boot, while setting system clock, I guess
> >
> > Compile module rtc.o
> > In make menuconfig :
> > 'Character devices' -> 'Enhanced Real Time Clock Support'
> > comment out that line in /etc/modutils... and reconfigure modules ...
> > Don't forget to put it into /etc/modules ...
>
> thanks for the reply, i didnt state my question clearly. why doesnt the
> commenting out of the line in /etc/modutils/arch/i386 work for getting
> the error on boot to go away?

With the line commented out, there is no mapping from
char-major-10-135 to any module, so the lookup fails.  With the line,
the mapping is to a non-existant module, so the lookup fails.  Setting
it to off says there is no such module and the lookup succeeds, the
answer is no.  I have a half dozen alias off lines in my setup to get
rid of the warnings.

Jeffrey