RE: New Kernel - No Network

what's a quick way to enable a static IP address?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Elkins [mailto:jeffelkins@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 9:52 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: New Kernel - No Network

On Saturday 01 March 2003 11:51 pm, Vince Turzo wrote:
I'm still trying to get connected with 2.4.20, while 2.2.22 connects without
problems. My debian system is on a lan. The ifconfig screens look the same,
except that eth0 has no IP address in 2.4.20, which leads me to believe that
the dhcp is not enabled in the new kernel. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot
that one. At the same time, if I do a lsmod on both, I get 4 modules on
2.2.22 and none on 2.4.20.  Are some of the module functions built into the
new kernel? I wouldn't have eth0 up if that function weren't handled by the
kernel, would I? After dmesg, the log on 2.4.20 seems to load Net 4.0
without problems, except at the end when it says... Unix domain sockets
1.0/SMP for Linux... ds: no socket drivers loaded.  Could this be a problem
in enabling connection to the lan?  Please advise.  Thanks.   Vince

I had a similar problem when I didn't enable socket filtering in the network
config section. Not doing so will stop DHCP from working.

Try enabling a static IP address. If that works you'll need to recompile
your
kernel with socket filtering.

Jeff Elkins
http://www.elkins.org