Re: Dummy

Travis Crump wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Teilhard Knight wrote:

Kent West wrote:

But
natively, Debian doesn't use the .rpm format
(although it can in many cases with the "alien" package).

Thanks a lot, Kent. A friend of mine told me Debian takes Red Hat drivers and to install it as simply as: rpm -ivh package_name. This must be news for
you, so maybe I, through my friend, am contributing something. :o)

Wow! You're right; I didn't know about the rpm command being on Debian. But sure enough, it's on my box, and the man page says indicates that it'll install rpms.

The man page is lying. rpm is there to be used by alien and to build rpms, it can't install packages because the rpm package database doesn't exist. If you try to create an rpm package database in order to get it to work, don't expect your system to stay unbroken for long.

So you're saying that if you have an .rpm, you should not try to install it via rpm, but rather convert it to a .deb using alien (which uses rpm in the background), and then install the resulting .deb?

Kent